« Back

Visit to Trent View Fisheries

20/12/2021 - Tactics & Edges

Hi all, following on from my last article when I covered my trip to the A1 Pits, which had replaced getting across the water to France. the second part of my foreign trip replacement was a trip to Trent View for 3 days. Clint my fishing partner was going to join me on the trip as well. Trent View is a great fishery, but the carp are fished hard for on here, so I never take it for granted that I will catch, I usually do manage a
nice carp or two though. As I have said, Trent View is a great fishery, though busy. The Fishery is very well run by Ian, so even when its busy, it feels quiet, as everyone is well behaved and treats the fishery
with respect.

I had pre-booked peg 47 which is a double swim and does cover a lot of water, even though it was getting late in the year and the carp may not have been coming round into the shallows so much, I still thought it would be good for a bite or two. I was delayed getting down as I had a client meeting in Nottingham that morning, so it was lunchtime when I arrived. The one thing about pre-booking a swim
is that there is no need to spend time looking around for signs of carp.

The lake was busy, as it has been all year, so there wouldn’t be much option to move anyway. I opted to fish on the left of the swim, Clint went on the right-hand side. After getting set up I wanted to spend an hour with the Marker rod to try and find a spot I was happy with. One thing about fishing out of my T6 means that I don’t need to spend time setting up a bivvy. My bedchair is already set up in the van, I have the rods on racks ready to go, so I can get straight on with the fishing, simply unclip the rods and I’m off.

I spent an hour or so with the Marker rod and found a nice feeling spot just short of 80 yards, a little bit of gravel with silty areas around it. I was going to fish two rods on this, and one rod close in on the corner to my left, which I had been told does produce. For my bait I was going to use the Pukka Fish with Peach and Sour Cream, backed up by the house pellets. The plan was to put out a couple of kilos of bait and then top up every few hours with 5-6 spods. One of the things on longer sessions is to think about the baited area you are trying to create. If the carp are pressured when they are fished for all of the time, we have to look at getting round that. So, when you are fishing for a few days and baiting up regularly, you will have bait at various stages of flavour levels and decomposition in the swim, it may be that the carp eat the ones that have been there for a while and leave the newer bait, some schools of thought say this is a good thing and may help them trip up as they are feeding on different items, and hopefully will just get a lock on the bait and eat everything, I’m not so sure that happens much thesedays, unless you have the option of fishing a lake regularly and feeding a bait into the lake. I wanted to be a bit different on this trip. So, while I started with fresh bait and applied some initially, the remainder of the bait I put into a bucket to soak in lake water, so they would start to wash out straight away. I did the same with the pellet as well, putting them into soak a few hours at a time to start to soften. This is something I am going to work more with next year, taking lake water home to pre-soak my bait for when I go fishing. Increasingly I feel that the carp are coming onto bait when it has been there for a day or two, as it may be safer for them to eat, I am sure this happens on the Pits a lot, I have bene told a few times that’s its day 3 when a lot of carp are caught over bait. Hookbait wise I was using 2 options, one was my standard stiff hinge rig pop-up, the other was on a double bait, one pop-up, and one bottom bait, which is something I have recently started to use a lot more.

I just wanted to go into something here, and that is the depth of water I am fishing in. It’s 22 feet deep here. I was talking about this to someone recently and he said he feels the reason a lot of people don’t
catch on here is because they are not fishing over their bait. Now I’m old fashioned and I fish to a marker float, rather than counting wraps and then adding a bit for the Spod rod, worked out by some formula that you can read about. I fish to a marker so I can see everything is going onto the same spot, then I can clip the Spod rod in exactly the right place. The other thing is how you fish the hook bait at this depth, if you cast to the marker and then sink the lead on a tight line, the chances are that the lead will swing in and not be on your bait, in 20 feet of water, the hookbait could be 5-6 yards from the baited area. Which one might get away with if fishing a PVA bag of some description, at least one has some bait around the hookbait, though it won’t be on the baited area. What I have found best to do is cast past the marker, and the quickly draw the lead back across the surface and then let it drop freely on open bail arm by the marker. Once I am happy it’s in the right spot, then I will put a marker knot on the line, so I know that recasts are dropping dead right every time. It’s the little things like this that can make the difference between catching and blanking.

We were all set-up for the evening, so it was time to finish setting the camp up and get some food, the weather forecast was for very heavy rain and some gusty wind, and boy did it rain! I have a tarpaulin I put over and across the front of my T6, this meant we could sit out under it even with the rain pouring down and enjoy a nice glass of red or two. The first night was quiet, though the weather certainly got the carp on the move and showing well. At 9 am I had a slow take on the double bait, after a short fight I netted a very pretty mid-double. That was it for the day, we spent the day chatting and sorting things out for the coming night. It’s amazing how time flies on a session isn’t it. The second night was quiet, I had switched both rods to double baits now and I was also re-casting more regularly, both Clint and I had noticed that sometimes on retrieval the baits were coming back smelling really foul. I felt it was when the hook bait was landing in the small pockets of decaying weed that were about. Those hookbaits were pretty much undetectable by the carp unless they were right over it, at first light I recasted both rods that were on the baited area, one of the hookbaits was as I suspected totally rancid. Anyway, at 9 am or so, I had a steamer from the baited area and after a more protracted fight I landed a lovely looking mirror of 24lbs, to be honest I expected more, but to be fair no one else on my side of the lake had a bite at all. Clint was now nicking my hookbaits and having a bit of a change all round, but it did seem the carp were more on the left, though they do show all over the place on here which can be deceiving. We got all set up for the last night, I was hoping for one more carp, just a little bit bigger though…The 3rd night was quiet, I freshened the hookbaits at first light and sure enough at 9am the left had rod rattled off again, great I thought to myself, maybe this will be a bigger fish, but before I had chance to really get into the carp it was gone…damn…or words to that effect. I recast but I felt the moment was gone. On very close inspection, the point of the hook was just not quite as sharp as I would have liked, maybe it blunted on the carp picking it up, maybe it was blunted before, which is poor angling on my part. We had to be off at ten, so we started the chore of packing up. It had been a great few days and I have a lot of thoughts for future trips and also how I’m going to make some changes for my fishing in the future. I was happy enough with a couple of carp, as our side of the lake hadn’t fished so well. Clint left empty handed, but that’s carp fishing heh? One thing for sure, I am now hooked on the Pukka Fish with Peaches and Sour Cream, this is going to be my bait for the next season.

So, my two UK sessions instead of my French trip had come to an end, it had been nice to just spend some time on the bank, and catch a few carp, plenty more to look forward to in the future. As I write this, my wife has had the all clear from the 18 months of Cancer treatment she has had to contend with, so we are both hopeful next year will be a better year all round for all of us, and we can plan some well- earned holidays. We have booked a large family holiday, I have a trip to France and a trip to Parco already booked, maybe we will even get to Croatia this time. Another bit of good news I received was an award from the Carp Society for my contribution to the Society and to Carp fishing in the past, that was really nice, it mainly covers my work with the Carp Society in the 90’s when Keith and I ran the West Yorkshire region, to raise money for the Junior Carp Schools we ran at places like Horseshoe, and I would spend the winters travelling around the UK holding slideshows. So that was really appreciated, and the certificate now has a pride of place on my trophy wall.

As we are now well into the Autumn, my night fishing is coming to an end for this year, it’s not the cold I struggle with, it’s the 14 hours of darkness I find a chore. For the winter I will switch to day fishing on somewhere more local, mainly just to keep getting out, hopefully I’ll still bank a carp or two. I’ll let you know how I get on.

Wishing all of you a Great Christmas and a happy, healthy and prosperous new year.

Catch you next time.